This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License
The Philippine Social Science Journal (PSSJ) is an international indexed journal published by Recoletos de Bacolod Graduate School, University of Negros Occidental-Recoletos. The journal publishes original and quality papers dealing with social science. It also includes anthropology, human geography, demography, business, management, economics, education, psychology, criminal justice, political science, social policy, international relations, sociology, law, media studies, history, health and well-being, and religion.
As an international indexed journal, PSSJ continuously commits itself to provide a mentoring space for researchers and scientists to publish original and unpublished scholarly papers that can foster new knowledge and understanding of various societal issues and become the basis for policies and programs to enhance organizational practices and improve the quality of life.
ISSN: 2672-3107 (Print) and 2704-288X (Online)
PSSJ Editorial Team is composed of respected academics in the journal's field from across the globe. Selected by the journal editor, they provide expert advice on major journal policy and content. In addition, they review submitted articles, invite new authors and submissions, and promote the journal to the global academic community. With their field of expertise and extensive work as scientists and researchers, the Editorial Team members enhance and strengthen the quality, integrity, prestige, and sustainability of our journal.
Manuscripts currently under consideration by another journal or publisher should not be submitted. The author/s must state upon submission that the work has not been submitted or published elsewhere.
Authors must fill-out the Declaration Agreement for original contribution and sole responsibility of the author vs. plagiarism and the hierarchy of authorship (in case of multiple authors).
In addition, authors must accept and adhere to the Open Access and Copyright Policy of the journal.
Authors must strictly adhere to the format and style of the journal to avoid manuscript rejection. Hence, authors are encouraged to carefully read the instructions for authors before submitting their manuscripts.
1. Submit the manuscript in MS Word Format through the online submission portal of the journal. However, you may also email your submission to the editor: firstname.lastname@example.org. Self-identifying references should be deleted from the text and notes.
2. Prepare the cover page indicating the following: A concise and informative title; name(s) of the author(s); affiliation(s), email address (es), and ORCID number(s) of the author(s); and an abstract of 150 words with at least 3-5 key words
3. Organize the paper following these major sections/headings: Title, Abstract (150 words) with at least five keywords, Introduction, Framework of the Study, Methodology, Results and Discussion, Conclusion, and References.
4. Format the entire manuscript in single-spaced on a short white bond paper (8.5x11in) on one side only with 2.5 cm (1 inch) margins all around using a Times New Roman, the font size of 12.
5. Serially number all pages, including tables, appendices, and references. Major sections should be numbered, but subsections should not be numbered.
6. Leave two spaces before and after the major headings and two spaces before and after the sub-headings. References, Acknowledgments, Table Titles, and Figure Legends should be typed single-spaced or numbered consecutively on all pages, including the title page, figures, and tables.
7. Spell out acronyms or unfamiliar abbreviations when mentioned for the first time in the text.
8. Write the scientific names of species completely with author(s) when it is first mentioned in the text and without an author in succeeding references. Scientific names should be written in italics or boldface.
9. Do not spell out numbers unless they are used to start a sentence. Spell out numbers from one to ten, except when used in tables and lists, and when used with mathematical, statistical, scientific, or technical units and quantities, such as distances, weights, and measures. Percentage and Decimal Fractions. In nontechnical copy, use the word percent in the text.
10. Use the metric system only or the International System of Units. Use abbreviations of units only beside numerals (e.g., 6 m); otherwise, spell out the units (e.g., kilometers from here). Do not use plural forms or periods for abbreviations of units. Use the bar for compound units (e.g., 1 kg/ha/yr). Place a zero before the decimal in numbers less than 1 (e.g., 0.25).
11. In preparing tables and figures, consider the journal’s printed page of 9 in x 6 in and the reduction that will be necessary. Titles of Tables should be found on top of the table itself, while Captions of Figures should be found right below the figure. It has to be as short as possible and understandable without referring to the text. Figures should consist of simple line drawings, computer-generated graphics, or good quality original photographs in a jpeg or png file format that is not enhanced electronically. Figures' label should be of such a size so that these are still legible even after reducing the size by as much as 50%. Use preferably Adobe Photoshop CS, Adobe InDesign CS, and or PDF computer-generated graphics.
12. All cited sources should substantially consist of articles published in current content-covered or peer-reviewed journals. Use the newest edition of the American Psychological Association (APA) for citation and referencing format and style. Do not use footnotes; rather, use endnotes if required by the discipline.
13. The manuscript should be concise as the subject and research method permit. Generally, it should be 4,000 to 6,000 words, single-spaced.
PSSJ adopts a double-blind review process. Authors and reviewers' identities are not disclosed to ensure an objective technical review of all submitted manuscripts. To facilitate an anonymized manuscript for review, the authors are requested to remove details indicating their names, affiliations, email addresses, and ORCID numbers. Two or three experts review an article on the research topic.
Before accepting and declining the invitation to review the manuscript, referees are expected to consider their areas of expertise to provide quality review of the paper; potential conflict of interest in providing an independent and unbiased review; availability and commitment to meet the journal deadline; and familiarity of the double-blind review process and journal guidelines to authors. The referees must also agree that the manuscript they received for review must be treated as a confidential document. It must not be shown or discussed with others except authorized by the author/editor. Any ideas obtained during the peer review process will be kept confidential and will not be used for personal advantage.
During the review process, referees are guided by the review form provided to them by the editor. They must correctly and legibly accomplish and submit the form on or before the deadline determined by the editor. Their comments and suggestions will be consolidated with the other referees to refining the manuscript being evaluated and come up with a quality publishable article.
Essentially, referees provide a technical evaluation of the paper regarding its suitability for publication, content and presentation, novelty, and accessibility of the content. Their comments and suggestions will provide the basis for the improvement of the manuscript. Also, they will recommend an action to be taken with regards to the manuscript from the options set by the journal: Accept without revision(s), Accept with minor revision(s), Accept with major revision(s), Reject with the option to resubmit, or Reject. If referees recommend that revisions are required, they must furnish the author/s specific guidance regarding those revisions. Also, they must indicate their willingness to review the paper after revision. If the referees substantially disagree about the paper's quality, the editor will solicit one or more reviews as a tie-breaker.
The editor will have the final decision for the acceptance and rejection of the paper.
Criteria for Acceptance and Rejection
For the manuscript to be accepted for publication, it must: (1) be recommended by two or three referees; (2) address the comments and suggestions of the referees; (3) comply with ethical standards and protocols; (4) adhere to journal format and style; (5) pass Plagiarism Detection Test with a score of at least 10% or less and Grammarly Rating of 95% or more; and (6) be endorsed for publication by the International Editorial Advisory Board.
Publication Ethics Policy
PSSJ is committed to upholding the highest research and publication ethics standards and takes all possible measures against any publication malpractice. All accepted papers are subjected to a rigorous review process and stringent grammar and plagiarism test. Likewise, all authors are requested to declare that the paper/abstract submitted for publication in PSSJ is not published or considered for publication in part or whole in any journal or magazine for private or public circulation. They must agree to the hierarchy of authorship (in the case of co-authorship) depending on their significant contribution to the work to qualify for authorship. For funded research papers, authors are requested to declare and acknowledge the valuable support of agencies, institutions, and individuals in the research projects' conduct. Any papers suspected of intellectual dishonesty and authorship's falsification will not be published or retracted from the website.
Open Access and Copyright Policy
The journal offers open access to its content on the principle that making research freely and permanently available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. Hence, PSSJ does not charge subscription fees to our readers to access, read, download, copy, distribute, print, and link the full text of all published articles in this journal without asking prior permission from the publisher or author. Also, the journal does not collect fees from potential authors in the publication of their papers.
PSSJ is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0).
Authors sign an exclusive license agreement, where author/s have copyright but license exclusive rights in their article to the publisher. In this case, the author/s have the right to (a) share their article in the same ways permitted to third parties under the relevant user license so long as it contains the journal logo, the end-user license, and a link to the version of record on Philippine Social Science Journal; (b) retain patent, trademark and other intellectual property rights (including research data); and (c) proper attribution and credit for the published work.
PSSJ is a quarterly publication. It comes out in January, April, July, and October. Special issues may be published in a year.
The journal is funded by Recoletos de Bacolod Graduate School, University of Negros Occidental-Recoletos.
The Philippine Social Science Journal was the brainchild of Dr. Dennis V. Madrigal, first chief and managing editor under Rev. Fr. Jose Alden B. Alipin, OAR who served as the Graduate School Dean, and Vice President for Academics. PSSJ was conceived to provide a platform to students and professors of the Graduate School and all research enthusiasts across the globe to engage in research publication.
The print maiden issue was released in December 2018. Then, the journal's website was launched in May 2019 with the release of the online version of the maiden issue.
In 2021, PSSJ started to release quarterly issues: January, April, July, and October. The publication frequency will provide more opportunities to researchers to publish their scholarly works and strengthen our commitment to foster social science researches in the Philippines and beyond.
On January 22, 2021, PSSJ has been accepted into DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals). Being indexed in DOAJ will enhance PSSJ's reputation and prominence, standard and best practice, funding and compliance, discoverability and visibility, and international coverage. Also, the journal was accepted and indexed in Crossref on February 22, 2021. Crossref is one of the official DOI registration agencies of the International DOI Foundation. The DOIs they generate for journal articles make the latter “easy to find, cite, link and assess”.
The opinions expressed in the articles published in the Philippine Social Science Journal (PSSJ) website are entirely of author/s of research papers. It does not reflect the opinions of both the Editor and members of the Editorial Board. The responsibility of the matter of the research paper is entirely of the author/s. However, in view of the possibility of human error by the authors, editors, or publisher, nor any other who has been involved in the preparation of the work warrants that the information contained herein in every aspect accurate or complete, and they are not responsible for any errors or omissions or the results obtained from the use of such information. Readers are advised to confirm the information contained herein with other sources.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License